Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence Odbody

There are many things that come with being a part of the military. You have to move all the time, deal with rules and codes, learn how to speak military lingo, figure out how to run a family on your own at times, and the worst is saying goodbye. Saying goodbye in the military has many meanings. The worst meaning is saying goodbye to your spouse after they don't come home from war. I personally think that a close second to that is saying goodbye to the friends you make. You never know when you'll see them again because you never know where you'll be stationed at. I had to say goodbye to a good friend of mine this evening. As a matter of fact I just came from a dinner with a bunch of us to wish her farewell. This. Is. Hard. She was the first person who I would become friends with during my Germany adventures. She has been there for me through a whole lot. I have been there for her through a whole lot. We've been there for each other for many things. Drama with other stupid people, drama between ourselves, being there when our children were born, birthdays, holidays, weekends, dinners, phone calls, walks around housing, etc. You don't make friends when you become a part of the military, you extend your family. She has definitely become a part of my family. Her kids have become a part of my family. My heart is breaking because I know that first thing in the morning she wont call me just so we can listen to each other make breakfast for our kids and do our morning routines over the phone. I won't be able to talk to her about her latest blonde moment. She won't be here to give me support when I need it most. This. Is. Hard. Sure we'll be able to talk over Facebook and what-not but it's not the same. I won't have the comfort of knowing that she is across the street when I need her. A part of my family is leaving and who knows when i'll see her again. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I hope she knows that even though we've both had our share's of ups and downs I am truly thankful that she came into my life. My time here in Germany would not have been the same without her and I know I would not have met the people I have if it weren't for her. I am thankful to call her my friend. It breaks my heart that she is leaving but that is one of the downfalls of military life. We have to learn that we aren't always going to be in the same place for long. We have to make as much of the time together that we have. I think that me and her have had a pretty good time in the (almost) 3 years here. I do have comfort knowing that no matter where the military takes me she will be somewhere out there in the world and will be there for me when I need her. I will have that friend out there who loves me. That gives me comfort and a sense of peace about her leaving. She will be hopping on a plane in the next couple of days. I hope that she has a safe flight and the kids don't give her a whole bunch of problems. I know she will be super duper happy to be home. It's all she's talked about for the past 2 months!!!! I am happy for her because it's tough being away from family. I'm happy I had the chance to make a new family over here and thankful she was willing to accept my crazy self. More of my friends are leaving in the next few months and I am going to be going through tons of tears and heartbreak with each and every one of them. I am not looking forward to it. I do know that wherever the military takes each of us we will still be connected. I am leaving soon and I will be kicking and screaming on my way to the plane. I don't want to leave the friends I know will still be here. The good thing is I will always have them in my life and I also have the chance to make new friends wherever we go next. I get to extend my family even further. I am blessed. I will miss her terribly. Treasure your friends ya'll. The quote I put as the title says it all.

2 comments:

  1. AWE! That made me cry! I love you and will miss you. But just remember it's not a goodbye! it's a see you later! Family never say goodbye.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, it is most definitely a see you later alligator!!!!

    ReplyDelete